top of page

Navigating the Paper Trail: Essential Documents for Initiating an eCRBA

In the digital age, navigating bureaucratic processes has become more streamlined, yet there are still essential documents required for certain procedures, such as registering a birth abroad for U.S. citizens. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) process, conducted electronically (eCRBA) in many cases, necessitates gathering specific paperwork beforehand. Here’s a breakdown of the documents you’ll need before embarking on this journey:

  1. Child’s Birth Certificate: The original birth certificate of the child born abroad, issued by the local authority.

  2. Parent’s Marriage Certificate: A certified copy of the marriage certificate of the child’s parents.

  3. Parent’s Divorce/Death Certificate (if applicable): In cases where a parent is divorced or deceased, relevant certificates need to be provided.

  4. Parent’s U.S. Passport (both parents, if applicable): Copies of the U.S. passports of both parents, valid or expired.

  5. Parent’s Foreign Passport (both parents): Copies of the foreign passports of both parents, if they hold foreign citizenship.

  6. Child’s Israeli Passport (if applicable): If the child holds Israeli citizenship, a copy of their Israeli passport.

  7. Proof of Citizenship (by U.S. citizen parent): Various documents can serve as proof of U.S. citizenship, such as utility bills, school records, tax returns, or other official documents demonstrating a substantial presence in the U.S.

  8. Parent ID: Valid identification documents of the parents, such as a driver’s license, Teudat Zehut (Israeli ID card), or other government-issued IDs.

It’s essential to ensure that all documents are valid, up-to-date, and presented in the required format. Additionally, some documents may need to be translated into English if originally issued in another language.

Starting the eCRBA process can seem daunting, but having the necessary documents prepared in advance can streamline the procedure significantly. By understanding what’s required upfront, you can navigate the process smoothly and ensure that your child’s citizenship is properly documented from the start.

Need more help? We can do the process together!


The following list outlines the documents typically required for initiating an eCRBA (electronic Consular Report of Birth Abroad) process. However, it is important to note that the specific documentation may vary depending on individual circumstances and the requirements of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where the application is submitted.

Then, once you have the documents above at hand, here are the next steps:

2. Double-click "Israel_West_Bank_and_Gaza"

3. Click "Next"

4. Choose "U.S. Embassy Jerusalem" and click "Next"

5. Select "HaYarkon 71, Tel Aviv" and click "Next"

6. Register and sign in to complete your application online

7. Complete your profile and start a new application

8. Answer questions and upload required documents like the original birth certificate

9. Provide information about each parent

10. Upload parental identity documents

11. Fill out Parent Two's details

12. Add marriage details (if applicable)

13. Provide proof of physical presence in the US and residency

14. Choose a mailing address and delivery preference

15. Certify the statements and proceed to payment

16. Pay the 100$ using a debit or credit card.

17. Print the payment confirmation

69 views0 comments


bottom of page